Followers

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday's Time Tip: Focus on goals pt 3: Daily Goals

In all my research and work on getting to where you want to be I've come across this idea for happiness and fulfillment.


The narrower the gap between where you are and where you want to be, the greater your contentment, fulfillment, and happiness.

Again I'll look at the sporting world.  All the effort and long hours training pays off at the end of the race.  You beat your best time, or, you win!

That moment, that instant the athlete crosses that mark you can see the elation on their face.  Mission accomplished.  You see it on the football field, you see it on the track.  All the hard work paid off.

Everyday has a challenge.  Everyday we are working towards something.

Today I want to discuss the daily goal.  Why is getting an A in economics going to help me with dance?

Each day is filled with things that need our attention.  Life is full of distractions.  How do we get the things done that matter most?

Look at the long range goals you've set for yourself.  What can you do today that will start moving you in the direction you want to go?  Look at your mid range goals, is there something you can do today to set those in motion?

I like to make a list of things that need to be done.  Then I go back and give the items a priority.  Then I start on A1 and then go to A2, then later B1, then perhaps get to C4 later in the day.  A are important items, things that are important.  (One day we'll discuss important vs. urgent and yes there is a difference).  B Items are important but not needed right now, and C items are nice but they can wait.

So if you are writing, a goal for writing would have an A priority.

I love big projects, but my current life situation doesn't allow for big blocks of time to devote to the big projects, so I find I have to do a few things a day.  Nibble at it.  Eventually it gets done, not the way I prefer to do things, but the important part is it does get done.

So each day take a look at things and find at least one thing to do that will get you closer to where you want to be.  There is just a great feeling about checking things off that list.  Each check mark is one step closer to that finish line.

What are some things you do each day that help you achieve things?  How do you plan your day?  What have you found that works best for you?  I'd love to hear your ideas as well.  I too am learning and am always willing to try new things.

No comments: