Followers

Friday, September 6, 2013

“Put A Little Strut In It”




While visiting my son over labor day weekend I came down with a sore throat, one of those where the inside of your throat is raw pain all the way down the esophagus. It hurt to breath, it hurt to swallow, I couldn’t sleep that night. 

Well, in search of relief I bought a bag of Halls cough drops.  I opened the wrapper and popped the medicated “candy” in my mouth and the wrapper caught my eye.  In a neat black font printed in the middle of the Halls diamond were messages.  I took a closer look and read the following little messages:

Bet on yourself
Put a little strut in it.
Keep your chin up
Elicit a few “wows” today
Hi-five yourself

I smiled.  Yes, I am feeling bad, but it is just a sore throat.  What a neat idea, the medicine helps the throat but the message was there to work on the attitude. Just because you are not feeling your best, doesn’t mean you quit moving forward.  I liked those little motivational messages.  My wife thought I was nuts reading my wrappers every time I took one, but I just thought that was a great idea.

A lot of how we do depends on our own outlook on how things go.  If we feel we will succeed, we usually do.  If you “Know” it is going to fail, most likely it will.  Our mental outlook does a lot to our actual outcomes, and feelings.

That is why I was talking about getting those negative things out of your life.  Get rid of or minimize those voices that constantly tell you that you are not good enough.  Be your own cheerleader.  Just those few little words on a cough drop wrapper made me stop and think about how big the little things really are. 

So whatever you are working on “Bet on yourself” and “Put a little strut in it.”  Your influence is greater than you realize.  

No comments: