Followers

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blog Ring of Power Interview with SJ Drum


Former zookeeper turned author S.J. Drum writes Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Novels, each with a bit of Steampunk flair. She also writes an erotic series with tattooed heroes, first-in-series is SINFUL SOUTHERN INK (Ellora's Cave 7-6-12).

S.J. Drum also writes LGBT Upper YA Dark Urban Fantasy under the pen name J.T. Fairfield. The first book in the Bayou Zoo series was released on 10/22/12, CAGED IN MYTH.

When she's not changing diapers or writing, she enjoys scuba diving and has been known to make an elephant do a headstand.

You can find S.J. Drum on Twitter @AuthorSJDrum, at www.SJ-Drum.com, http://sj-drum.blogspot.com, and Facebook at facebook.com/AuthorS.J.Drum

Part 1 @ Terri Bruce – http://www.terribruce.net, Wednesday, March 27th
Part 2 @ T.W. Fendley - http://twfendley.com/ Thursday, March 28th
Part 3 @Emily LaBonte - http://emlabonte.blogspot.com/ Friday, March 29th
Part 4 @ Sandra Ulbrich Almazon - http://ulbrichalmazan.blogspot.com/ Monday, April 1
Part 5 @ Dean C. Rich - http://deanswritingtime.blogspot.com/ Tuesday, April 2


Here is Part V of S J Drum's interview.



Words of Wisdom
  1. Tell us about your route to success – where there any bumps and bruises along the way?
I wrote my first book (A Life Beyond Yesterday by Clara LaVeaux, Women’s Fiction) about four years ago and received an embarrassing number of rejections when I finally started submitting my query letter. However, enough of the rejections came with personalized encouragement, even if it was only a few sentences, I was able to view the process as a learning experience. After revising the book, it was contracted by Eternal Press, a small publisher. Afterward, I began writing in different genres to get a feel for which type of story was most elemental and natural for me to write.
  1. Why did you decide to go with an indie publisher? Did you use/do you have an agent?
Honestly, when I submitted my first book, I didn’t have a choice. None of the big publishers would take a risk on a newbie writing in Women’s Fiction and I settled on one of the small publishers who offered a contract. Now, I write an adult series under the name S.J. Drum contracted by Ellora’s Cave, which is a bigger publisher but still focuses mostly on ebooks. When it came time to send out query letters for Caged in Myth, I looked at my experience with publishers and decided to take self-publishing for a test-drive.
  1. What are the most important elements of good writing?
Editing. Editing is something we can all improve upon. Personally, I’ve found more mistakes in a few of my traditionally published works than I’ve found in my self-published books. I still think a good editor is indispensable. Follow-through is also important. If you make a point of having a character place a gun on their bedside table at the beginning of a book, you better have that gun be of some use by the end.
  1. What tools are must-haves for writers?
Scrivener.  I would be completely lost and disorganized if I didn’t use Scrivener when writing.
  1. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thanks for reading! If not for you, I’d be out of a job. Remember, the best way to help an author is to leave a review for the book you’ve read on Amazon or Goodreads.
  1. What are your current / future project(s)?
I’m working on the next Caged in Myth installment, which I write under the name J.T. Fairfield, as well as the next few books in my Sinful South series with Ellora’s Cave.







Caged in Myth by J.T. Fairfield
$0.99 on Amazon


*5 STAR REVIEW*
"I loved everything about this story, except that it had to end. Caged in Myth is a coming out story like no other. I would recommend you pick up this book, you won't be disappointed!" -Squibley's Fiction Addiction

*5 STAR REVIEW*
"I felt for Jay and his friends. The character development was sincere and intriguing." -Linda Hays-Gibbs, Author of My Angel, My Light as Darkness Falls and Review for The Romance Reviews


The Bayou Zoo, where magic is real, the beasts are deadly, and a bad day at work can literally mean the end of the world.

Octavian Julius McKellter— “Jay” to everyone who doesn’t want a punch in the face— struggles with keeping the secrets of his supernatural community and his own secret...he's gay. Throw in a dose of danger, deceit, and Louisiana heat, and you'll find yourself CAGED IN MYTH.

No comments: