Followers

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Power of a Drean

If you envision something, you are over halfway to achieving it.  That is the power of a dream.

When we were all a lot younger, as children we imagined all sorts of things.  “When I grow up…”
We were going to be astronauts, explorers, Captains, Doctors, World Class Athletes.  The sky was the limit, and even that didn’t hold us back.  Disney's Lion King illiterates this well.  The lion cub Simba dreams about what it will be like to be king:



Simba's dream was derailed, and our own hopes and dreams get side tracked.  Life has a way of interrupting what we would like to do.  Things didn’t always turn out the way they were supposed to.  Reality comes in.  Very often we settled for something else. We put the dream in a box, mark it "someday" and put it on a safe shelf to collect dust.

However, if there is still something you really, really want to do, it can still happen.

You have to envision what it will look like.  See yourself there.  My writing buddies all want to hold their books in their hands.  I have seen a few of my online writing friends do just that.  Now writing a book is a huge undertaking and most authors fail on their first attempt, but that doesn’t stop them.  They figure out what is stopping them, and find ways around it.

That dream, that vision of holding the book keeps them going.

So, if you are going to dream, dream big.  Think about it.  Daydream about it.  Think of every aspect you can imagine and work it out.

The mind is a powerful tool, and once you’ve set your mind to it, the mind works on ways to make the dream into a reality.

Years ago homes were being built near us.  I love to walk through construction sites.  I like to see homes being built.  I can see how the plan flows, and what the home will look like.  So I asked my wife if she would go look at the homes with me.

She said something that I’ll never forget.  She said, "No."

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because you’ll start dreaming about a new house, and I’m not ready to move yet.”

Wow.  That was a complement.  I loved hearing it.

We did eventually go walking through the buildings, and yes, I did build a home and we did move.  It was a lot of fun.

In fact,  I may start thinking about a new home…

“In today’s market?  No way!”

Ah, that is what stops the dreams.  Those who do not share in your vision.  If the dream takes hold, and you feed it, your mind will find a way around In today‘s market?

Do dust off the old dreams.  Where do you want to be?  What do you need to change?
What will you change?  What are your dreams?  I’d sure like to hear about them.

No comments: