Followers

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BRoP Interview with Susan Curnow



A new year and the Blog Ring of Power is continuing the interviews  This week we welcome Susan Curnow and today she is going to discuss The Writing Life.

1. What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? Do you use pen and paper or computer? Work at home or at the library/Starbucks, etc.   

I don’t have a routine, it is basically when I can and it is always at home. I often write the first draft on paper but subsequent drafts are on my computer.

2. How do you balance writing with other aspects of your life?   

With difficulty, especially if I am on a roll. The characters and their situations eat away at my mind totally immersing themselves in my psyche. I have to remember to do things like pay bills and make dinner.

3. When do you write? When the mood takes me.

4. How much time per day do you spend on your writing? Several hours if I can.

5. What has been the most surprising reaction to something you’ve written? Did you write that?

6. What is the strongest criticism you’ve ever received as an author? The best compliment? 
From my cat who wrote zzzzzzzzzzzz after one of my short stories. The nicest compliment – “You write prose which makes me pale with envy.”

7. Other than your family, what has been your greatest source of support? 
Friends I have made over the years through writing groups and the Internet.

8. How do you deal with rejection and/or negative reviews? 
Ideally I try to learn from them but I am human. I only get really angry if something is written totally out of context and is a dig at me and not the story. Even then, sometimes anger is a great driver to move onward.

No comments: