Followers

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Facing Life

August 27, 2012 Hurricane Issac blew through New Orleans, and La Place Louisiana.  La Place flooded.  My son had evacuated and was at our home, and his in-laws when news that his home had flooded. I wrote about this in my August Post -- Life's Little Challenges Since then my Son and his family have been staying with coworkers and friends.  He gutted his home, replaced appliances, new sheet rock, new floor, revamped counters, and painted.  Last night he and his family moved back in.

From my Daughter-In-Law's Facebook page: "Heading home officially for the first time in 99 days!!! House is still not complete, but will be soon. We still have a long road are hehead, but I know we can manage. I am so grateful for all the help, thoughts, and prayers from our friends and family! It means more than anyone will ever know!!!!!! I am grateful for this trial and know that it has made me stronger. I am so thankful that we are not alone and have such wonderful people in our lives to lean on and touch us when we need it most!" 

It turned out it was a few days later, but this post gives a good view of where they are.  

My son wrote:  "Sleeping in my house with my family for the first time tonight since we evacuated on August 27th.  So excited!!!!"

What an example for me, and I share now.  What could have been a major setback and life changing event this young couple has faced down and made it a set back.  They faced this with dignity and kept at things until everything worked out.  They are home again. 

Over a hundred days setting things back in order.  But they have done it.  Life goes on.  Life throws curves, but our attitudes and approach to things determines a lot about the out come.  

My daughter found this quote and shared it with me, "You only have three choices in life, give up, give in, or give it all you've got."  

I like the last choice, giving it all you've got.  I admit there are times in life where you want to throw up your hands and say, that is it, I quit.  Or have it your way.  Yet reaching down deep and finding that inner drive to keep going, finding that something to change the attitude makes all the difference.

The phrase that echos in my mind comes from the TV show Extreme Makeover Home Addition, "Welcome home Rich family. Welcome home!"

Remember this, endings are also beginnings.  The end of rebuilding and moving in, the beginning of living in a new home.

We are all living our lives.  We all have challenges.  May you face them down and conquer.







No comments: