Followers

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blog Ring of Power Interview with Cary Caffrey

Today is part IV of the five part interview with Cary Caffrey.  Catch the other parts of his interview

Part 1 @ Teresa - Thursday, October 25
Part 2 @ Emily - Friday, October 26
Part 3 @ Sandra - Monday, October 29
Part 4 @ Dean - Tuesday, October 30
Part 5 @ Terri - Wednesday, October 31

He wraps up tomorrow on Terri's blog.  Today we talk with Cary about his current work, so Cary, pull up a chair and lets chat About Your Current Work

Tell us about your new book and when it is out? Where can people purchase it?

Amazon! And it's out now.

Is there anything new, unusual, or interesting about your book? How is it different from other books on the same subject?

I'd like to think it's the relationship between the two main characters that sets this book apart from other stories in this realm. To me, Sigrid and Suko's story is very personal. 

As much as TGfA is a science-fiction action-adventure, I wanted the story to resonate on a personal level. Sigrid, growing up, finding herself as a woman, finding love, finding her confidence, is the most important thing to me in the book - not just whether or not she'll be victorious in battle and kill the bad guy.

What was the hardest part of writing this book?

To be brutally honest, I had to learn to write, and that was tough.

Almost all my writing (until TGfA) was either movie scripts or stage plays. I had never been confident writing prose so when I undertook this project I needed to go back and do a lot of analysis. I needed to understand what it was about my prose that wasn't working for me.

It didn't take long to realize that I needed to work on some of the basics like my sentence structure. I had a terrible tendency to write long run-on sentences. I also had some bizarre notions of what I thought I had to do in terms of descriptions. I tended to over-write everything.

I needed to simplify everything, break it all down to the basics. I spent a lot of time re-reading old books, studying the styles of some older authors I admired (mostly the wonderful pulp writers from the sixties like the great Harry Harrison). Those old writers were real pros. They knew how to write clearly and succinctly. No flowery language. They knew how to get to the point fast.

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

My absolute favorite part is the scene in the elevator. I smile every time I think of that scene. It's crazy. It's over the top. (I'd love to see this scene on the big screen). But I think it's the most exciting part of the book. Everything leading up to Sigrid and Hitomi's escape from Earth, to what happens on the Elevator. I always felt that if I could hook the reader to that point, I'd have them the rest of the way for sure. 

Did you learn anything from writing this book and what was it?

I learned that I could do it. I've tried to write a novel a number of times. It was nice to finally get one done and in the can, and to feel good about it.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in this book?

There are always things you look back on that still need work - things you'd cut or expand on. But I'd never change anything. I believe you never truly finish creative projects, all you can do is abandon them and walk away. The rest is up to the reader.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I'm not really a "message" guy. Rather than preach, I'd much rather pose questions to the reader. There's a real question of morality in TGfA, and I love how readers have picked up on this.

It's nothing the characters ever discuss, and it's certainly nothing I draw any conclusions on, but it's a big part of the book.

My main character is a woman who has been trained since childhood to kill, and to do so without question or mercy - a skill she demonstrates on countless occasions. Never once does Sigrid hesitate from her duty or question her actions or any moral imperatives that may be guiding her. Is she a woman of conviction? A hero? Is she Hitomi's champion, or is she simply a drone, acting out her Mistress' biding? 

I've had some readers go so far as to write to me half-way through reading the book and ask (half-jokingly, I think), who's the bad guy here? 

Readers bring their own imagination and experiences to every book they read. It's a lot more fun to see how they fill in all those blanks than simply having me map it out.

Website: carycaffrey.com
Twitter: @CaryCaffrey


What format is your book(s) available in (print, e-book, audio book, etc.)?
Paperback and Kindle, both exclusively from Amazon

No comments: