Followers

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Burned Biscuits

I received this in an e-mail.  I tried to find who wrote this story and have been unsuccessful.  I did not write this, but I share it here as I feel it is worth posting.  A good life lesson for us all.

Burned Biscuits

 When I was a boy, Mama liked to cook breakfast food for supper every now and then. I remember an evening in particular when she had made breakfast, after a long, hard day at work. On that evening
so long ago, Mama placed a plate of eggs,grits, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of Daddy. I remember waiting to see if he would notice.

But, all daddy did was reach for his biscuit, smile at Mama and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that evening but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on
that ugly burned biscuit. He ate every bite of that thing...never made a face or said a word about it.

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing Mama apologize to Daddy for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said. "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then."
Later that evening, when I went to kiss Daddy good night, I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned?
He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Mama put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides, a little burned biscuit every now and then never hurt anybody."

As I've grown older, I've thought about that evening many times.  Life is not always fair and it is full of imperfect things and imperfect people and I'm not the best, at much of anything, I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everybody else. But what I've learned over the years, is that learning to accept each
other's faults and choosing to celebrate each others differences, is one of the most important keys to creating healthy, growing, and lasting relationships.

And that's my prayer for you today...that you will learn to take the good, bad and ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit ain't such a big deal!  This can be extended to any relationship.  In fact, understanding,
is the real basis of all relationships, be it brother-sister, husband-wife, parent-child, partners or just plain old friendship.

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yeah, the burned one will be just fine.


No comments: