Followers

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blog Ring of Power Interview with Cornelia Amiri: Part V


Today I am happy to have Cornelia Amiri as a guest here on The Write Time.  This is her last stop in her five part interview.  Check out the other parts of her interview:


Part 1 @ Terri - Wednesday, September 12th
Part 2 @ Teresa, Thursday, September 13th
Part 3 @ Emily, Friday, September 14th
Part 4 @ Sandra, Monday, September 17th

Cornelia Amiri is the author of 16 romance books, including the Steampunk/romance she writes under the name Maeve Alpin. She lives in Houston, TX with her wonderful son and granddaughter. 

 So Cornelia, are you ready to share some of the bits of wisdom you've collected in your journey to publication?  Have a seat over here and lets chat.

Tell us about your route to success –did you use an agent? How did you land your agent and/or publisher?
A writing acquaintance founded Eternal Press and sent me an invitation to submit. Eventually I had something to submit and they published it, A Fine Cauldron of Fish, and they have published several books for me since. I thought Druidess was right for them and submitted I to them only and they accepted it.
  
Why did you choose to go with a small/independent press?
The way I did it, I chose a good publisher and they happened to be an e-book publisher. When I decided I would take the plunge and submit my first novel, The Fox Prince, I went to the Preditors & Editors website, clicked on book publishers, and began with the A’s. I looked at recommended publishers only, who were open to historical/romances set in a time period prior to 1000 AD.  Awe-Struck was the first publisher that fit.  I submitted The Fox Prince to them and they accepted it. I continued to use well established royalty payin gEbook publishers, currently I write for Eternal Press, Lyrical Press, and Ellora’s Cave. I never have and never will regret my decision to go with Awe-Struck. I didn’t pick them because they are an e-book publisher, I just chose them because they’re a good publisher..  I highly recommend well thought of royalty paying  Ebook publishers to both readers and writers.


Is there anything you would have done differently during the querying and publishing process?
For a first book the query and publishing process is a huge step. You learn new things from being published and you learn new things when you branch out and deal with different publishers.  I wouldn’t change anything about my first querying and publishing experience in 2001. It was wonderful. When I received the e-mail form Awe Struck accepting my novel, the "Fox Prince", I was on cloud nine. Bubbling with happiness, I was more animated then usual at work. I followed my standard good mornings with, "Did you hear about my book?" I e-mailed my publisher, Kathryn Struck, to tell her that I too was attending the Romantic Times convention and that I would love to meet her. She replied, "I am taking all the Awe Struck authors to dinner on Thursday and would love for you to join us." I walked around work waving the e-mail saying, "Look, look, I'm going to have dinner with my publisher and the other Awe-Struck authors."

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Never stop writing, put your inner-editor aside and finish the rough draft. Find your unique author voice and go with it, always. Never give up, following a dream is always hard work, but it's the only way to truly live.
  
What are your current / future project(s)? 
If you like Druidess, it’s sequel, Druid Bride is available as well. I also have a young adult Celtic/Fantasy/Romance which recently came out, The Prince of Powys. I am working on two Steampunk/Romance books and three Vampire/Romance novellas

Druidess: In first century AD, conquering Romans plunge the British tribes into chaos. The future of the mist covered isle of Britannia and its brave people rest in the hands of two druids, whose views are as different as fire and ice. Yet they find love together. Arch Druid Rhys is a master of the sacred mysteries but a novice in the ways of the heart. Sulwen, a sacred druidess, discovers Rhys, the shape shifter, has evoked a basic, feral desire in her, only to find the goddess may soon exact the unfathomable price of taking him from her. Though their love is a potent as their magic, is it strong enough to survive the turmoil of the Romans, the Rebel Queen Boudica, and the gods?
 

Where to find Cornelia on the web:

Website: http://CelticromanceQueen.com
Blog: I’m one of the Steamed writers - http://ageofsteam.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaeveAlpin


What format is your book(s) available in (print, e-book, audio book, etc.) 
print and eBook

Thank you for stopping by and sharing with all of us here at The Write Time.

No comments: