Followers

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blog Ring of Power Interview with Christine Fonseca

This week's Blog Ring of Power interview is Christine Fonseca.  You can read part one on Sandra Ulbrich Almazan: Speculative Fiction Author  blog. 

Today Christine Fonseca is a guest here on The Write Time.  She is talking about life as a writer.  So Christine, welcome to The Write Time.  Lets get down to the questions shall we?

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? Do you use pen and paper or computer? Work at home or at the library/Starbucks, etc. 

I follow a somewhat regular writing routine that typically consists of doing the business end of writing first thing in the morning before I head out to my day job, and immediately after work in between taxiing kids around. The evenings and weekends are dedicated to whatever project I have going on at the time (and right now there are a TON). I write on my laptop, mostly. Though, with a recent career change and less time for drafting, I have discovered that I can draft in 15 minute increments (one scene, or part of one scene) on my iPad. So I am doing a lot more of that now, trying to squeeze in any available time for drafting (which is my least favorite part of the process, can I just say). As for where I work…anywhere and everywhere I can. At home, in my car, at the library, and yes, in my writing cave at Starbucks. I will say that my writing cave (aka Starbucks—any Starbucks with an available plug) is probably my fav. Not sure why, but it is. Especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

How do you balance writing with other aspects of your life? 

This is a constant challenge/battle for me. I have a very demanding day job, two very active kids, and a fabulously supportive husband. I have learned that I need to get in a 20 minute walk as often as possible, as well as 30-60 minutes of meditation, just to stay balanced and on top of everything. The only way it all fits is to establish routines, and be diligent about following them. I do try to take mini vacations from both writing and the marketing end of things periodically—just for my sanity. Remembering to do this really helps keep me in balance.

When do you write?  

Ha! Anytime I can!!! No seriously, I used to be a 9pm writer. But the day job got more and more hectic and I found that I just didn’t have the energy to write at night like I used to. Then I tried 4:30 am, but yea. Nope. Now I draft whenever I can. 15 minutes in between meetings, 15 – 20 minutes morning and night. 15 minutes waiting for the Teen to get out of a swim meet. Literally any time I can. And, the faster I draft, the sooner I can move on to edits (which is my favorite part of the process). When I am under deadline, I will write immediately after work and early in the morning on the weekends. Fortunately, I have a husband and kids that totally understand the time I need to get things done. They are more than supportive when deadlines are approaching.

How much time per day do you spend on your writing? 

It really varies, based on my deadlines. For the last two months I have been in promotion mode, so all my “writing” time has been spent blogging, writing up interviews, etc. Times like that usually equates to a couple of hours a day, 5 days a week or so. Next week I need to start drafting a short story AND book 2. That will mean increasing the writing time to 2 hours (minimum) daily during the week, and 4-5 hours daily on the weekend until it is done. And over Spring Break I will probably write/draft/edit 4 or 5 hours a day, with one or two days off to play at the beach! 

Other than your family, what has been your greatest source of support?  

My writerly BFFs have been a HUGE source of support throughout my writing career. From listening to me whine, to talking me off the ledge, to brainstorming with me, I know that I would be nothing in this business without them!

Media Sheet for Lacrimosa

Short Blurb for LACRIMOSA

As if casting out demons isn’t hard enough, five-hundred-year-old Nesy has to masquerade as a teenage girl to do it. Nesy is the best of the warrior angels called Sentinals. She never makes mistakes, never hesitates, never gets emotionally involved. Until she meets Aydan.  
He is evil incarnate; a fallen angel that feeds off the souls of others. Everything Nesy is supposed to hate.  But she can’t, because he’s also the love of her former life as a human girl—a life that ended too soon, tying her to emotions she was never supposed to feel.
Now Nesy must choose between doing her duty—damning Aydan to the fiery depths of hell—or saving him, and condemning herself. 

Author Endorcement(s):

“LACRIMOSA reaches out, grabs readers by the heart, and takes them on an emotional journey from the first page to the last. The last novel you’ll need to read to understand true sacrifice.”
~Elana Johnson, Author of POSSESSION
Availability:
Publisher: COMPASS PRESS
ISBN: 0984786368 (ISBN 13: 9780984786367)
Hardback and Digital formats from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and fine retailers.

Additional Titles in the series include DIES IRAE (a Requiem Novella), LIBERA ME (Oct 2012) and REQUIEM (March 2013).
The book trailer can be seen by linking to YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwTQoOFKEZg


About Christine Fonseca
School psychologist by day, critically acclaimed YA and nonfiction author by night, Christine Fonseca believes that writing is a great way to explore humanity. Her debut YA Gothic series, The Requiem Series, including DIES IRAE and LACRIMOSA, examines the role of redemption, sacrifice and love. Her nonfiction titles include 101 SUCCESS SECRETS FOR GIFTED KIDS and EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS.

When she’s not writing or spending time with her family, she can be sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes at her favorite coffee house or playing around on Facebook and Twitter. Catch her daily thoughts about writing and life on her blog.

For more information about Christine Fonseca or the series, visit her website – http://christinefonseca.com or her blog http://christinefonseca.blogspot.com

No comments: