Followers

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pesonal Inventory

Once a week, and once a month I take inventory.  Count and double check.  The cost is then figured into the cost of goods sold.  Inventory affects my bottom line, it affects profits.  In a business setting inventory is essential.

Inventory also applies to individuals.  As a verb it is defined as:

Inventory - to take stock of; evaluate: to inventory one's life and accomplishments.

Scary stuff.  Stopping to take stock of one's life is tough.  One may not like what one sees.  So it is easier to just ignore the issues.  

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got”  -- Anthony Robbins 

From the book 7 Keys to Success by Will Edwards …

“ … we need to notice what is working and what is not; and be prepared to change our approach in order to get what we want – that is the essence of flexibility.
A wise person once said, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got”. That is a wonderfully true statement – in other words, if you continue doing exactly what you are now doing, then don’t be surprised when you don’t see any increase or change in your results.”
  

 If you find that you don't like where you are in life then what needs to happen to change that course?  Personal Inventory is the answer to dealing with making changes.  Stop and take a good hard look at where you are and what you want to be.  Then put together a plan to decide what changes need to be put into place.

I've never smoked, but I have talked and worked with people who have, the point in common is the habit needs to change, smoking needs to be replaced with another activity.  Never mind the nicotine addiction, the hand to mouth, or the social gathering of other smokers needs to be replaced with something else.   Change is hard.  Change means leaving your comfort zone.  

However, if the new direction is a great desire, then the changes needed to make that come true become easier to make. 

Bottom line, if you don't like where you are take some time to really look at where you want to be. Identify the barriers that keep you from getting to where you want to be.  Come up with what needs to happen to remove those barriers.  Make a plan to change.  Implement the plan.

What strategies have worked for you?  Any other suggestions to help with doing a personal inventory?

You have just read Personal Inventory here on The Write Time, consider leaving a comment.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have taken inventory of my life and ... everything needs to change. I have found that I make sacrifices for everyone in my life. Thinking they will do the same for me. They haven't, they just want more. I have always put myself last. Well, this year, it will be different. After 50 years, the first person I will take care of is me. Everyone else is second. I have more living to do, in the time I have left. I'm not waiting any more.