Followers

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

BRoP Interview with Rebecca Hamilton Part III


Well my blogging friends within our Blog Ring of Power have another author interview on our blogs.  Today Rebecca Hamilton visits The Write Time and we will talk about where she gets inspiration and the creative aspect of how she writes.

You can read Part I at Em's Blog

Today is Part III
Tomorrow Part IV is over on Terri's Blog
Part V wraps up the interview with Teresa on her Blog.

First off welcome to The Write Time, Rebecca.  Glad you agreed to join up with our Blog Ring, we like to call it The Blog Ring of Power.  So pull up a chair right here and lets talk shop and your creativity.  

Where do you get your story ideas?
This is such a crappy answer, but the truth is, “they come to me.”
Do you have a specific writing style?
I like writing from a deep point of view.

How do you deal with writer’s block?
I am not sure how much I believe in writers block. Sure you get stuck, but a true writer’s block implies something else to me. It’s like the difference between having lost something or just having not found it yet. If you don’t look, you definitely won’t find it.

How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set formula?
They also “come to me”. Sometimes I will put thought into the shallow details, after the fact, because it seems most readers care about things like what a character looks like or what car they drive, but to me, personality is the key. So I just write the character as I FEEL them. Then sometimes I take a personality test to see what their personality is if I need to get more depth into what kind of person they are.

Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser” (do you plan/outline the story ahead of time or write “by the seat of your pants”)?
I was a pantser. Plotting still doesn’t work for me. Usually I have some general ideas, but that’s it. What I’ve taken to doing (to make writing easier) is to keep handy some outlines of plot structures, but more “fill it in as I go”. In other words, I know I have to write an inciting incident at the opening. I don’t decide what it will be, but I make sure it’s there by time I’m through. I know I need to set up questions in the first act, develop character, and make sure the problems of the story and goals of the character are clear. I don’t know ahead of time what those things are, but I know to be aware of them when they come to me and to include them as I write. When I hit 25%, I know that I’m going into act 2 and that I need to build on conflicts. I don’t know what those conflicts are, but as I write, I look for them and include them. So I guess there is structure there, but it’s more like following a map without knowing what I will see or where I will turn as I walk the paths.

For Rebecca's fans, or new fans here is where you can find her online:

Oh, one last question:
Is your book in print, ebook or both? 
 Both.

Thanks for having me :)

Thank you for coming over and being a part of our interview.  It has been a real pleasure having you with us.

January 26, 2012
Sophia Parsons’ family has skeletons, but they aren’t in their graves...

Solving the mystery of an ancestor’s hanging might silence the clashing whispers in Sophia's mind, but the cult in her town and the supernaturals who secretly reside there are determined to silence her first.

As Sophia unknowingly crosses the line into an elemental world full of vampire-like creatures, shapeshifters, and supernatural grim reapers, she meets Charles, a man who becomes both lover and ally.

But can she trust him?

It’s not until someone nearly kills Sophia that she realizes the only way to unveil the source of her family's curse: abandon her faith or abandon her humanity. If she wants to survive, she must accept who she is, perform dark magic, and fight to the death for her freedom.

No comments: